Indonesian fried rice special/nasi goreng
Indonesian Fried Rice special / Nasi goreng
- 4 cups cold cooked rice
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 5 shallots, peeled and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
- 3 red chilies, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried shrimp paste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt 1 tablespoon sweet soy sauce sliced cucumber (to garnish) sliced tomato (to garnish)
- 8 ounces sliced chicken
- 8 ounces sliced beef or 8 ounces medium shrimp, shelled,deveined and chopped (optional) and 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- Note: This dish is usually served with traditional meat accompaniments or with meat in the dish.
- Stir the rice with a fork to separate the grains.
- Pour a small amount of oil in a wok and fry the egg to make a thin omelet; cool, then shred.
- Heat the remaining oil in the wok and fry the shallots, garlic,coriander, chilies and shrimp paste until the shallots are tender (if adding any meat or shredded cabbage to this dish, add now and cook until meat is cooked through).
- Increase the heat to high and add the rice, salt and soy sauce, adding a little oil if necessary, stirring constantly until well mixed and heated through.
- Garnish with shredded egg, cucumber, and tomato .
- Serve with fried egg, fried chicken, satay, and shrimp crackers.